ICEA is pleased to announce that we have partnered with Dr. Sears Wellness Institute to offer Health Coach Certification online courses for prenatal, postpartum and families.
Each year thousands of women face complications during pregnancy and/or delivery due to a lack of knowledge about proper prenatal care, nutrition and lifestyle choices. Good health for mother and baby begins before conception and continues well after delivery. Pregnant and nursing mothers need current information, resources and strategies to help them make the best choices. Dr. Sears L.E.A.N. Expectations workshops provide the educational setting, workbooks and tools for women to learn and connect. Once certified, you would be able to offer the following workshops:
- Prepare Right Now: Turn your Pregnancy into a Healthy New Beginning
- Eat Right Now: Experience Optimal Nutrition During Pregnancy and Beyond
- Live Right Now: Make a Smooth Transition from Pregnancy to Motherhood
For complete course details and listings of topics contained in the workbooks:
Many childbirth educators wish to continue to support families as their children grow. Dr. Sears L.E.A.N. Start program offers the opportunity to provide parents interactive and easy-to-implement education for maintaining a healthy, thriving family. Conducted in live or online workshops, participants will discover how to:
- Develop a lifetime of achievable healthy habits for the entire family
- Improve the mood, learning and behavior of children through proper nutrition
- Avoid nutrition related diseases such as type II diabetes, heart disease, sleep apnea, respiratory problems, & cancer
- Make nutrition at home easy and fun, while preparing healthy food that tastes great
- Keep children and family members physically active
Developed by world renowned physician, Dr. William Sears and Martha Sears, R.N., a leading childbirth educator and breast feeding consultant, their expertise is reflected in the over 40 books they have authored, including; The Pregnancy Book, The Birth Book, The Breastfeeding Book and The Baby Book. With their interactive certification courses they bring to life their valuable knowledge in the four pillars of health; Lifestyle, Exercise, Attitude and Nutrition.
As an added bonus, ICEA members who complete a L.E.A.N. certification program will be awarded 24 ICEA contact hours that can be applied towards ICEA certification and/or recertification. Also, this course is approved for CEUs for the following professionals:
- RNs (30 – 60 hours through Brandman University)
- MFTs and LCSWs (30 – 60 hours through Brandman University)
- Registered Dieticians (30 – 60 hours through the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics – formally the ADA)
- Fitness Instructors (2.5 CEUs through ACE Fitness)
Steps to Certification
1. Candidate must be first enrolled in the program and be an ICEA member. See enrollment details at the Dr. Sears Welness Institute:
- L.E.A.N. Expectations Enrollment - $626 (normally $695)
- L.E.A.N. Start Enrollment - $626 (normally $695)
- L.E.A.N. Expectations & L.E.A.N. Start - $895 (normally $995)
Includes all training manuals, books, instructions, and support materials
2. Upon enrolling, candidates will receive:
- L.E.A.N. Expectations
*L.E.A.N. Expectations Books (3)
*eCampus login information
- L.E.A.N. Start
*L.E.A.N. Start Guide
*L.E.A.N. Essentials Booklet
*Child’s Activity Book
*eCampus login information
3. After successfully completing the reading materials, candidates will submit their exam and receive a certificate of completion along with twenty four (24) approved ICEA Contact Hours.
Course Content and Structure
Course instruction is online and is supported by interactive eLearning sessions, discussion boards, interaction with other classmates online, and weekly conference calls with an instructor. Each week will contain specific reading assignments, activities and assignments. Instructors are available via online or phone to support your learning experience.
Single certification courses are six weeks and the combined courses are nine weeks long. The flexible schedule each week allows you to complete your coursework and activities at times that are most convenient for you.
L.E.A.N. Expectations certification training covers the history and future of L.E.A.N., basic and extended nutrition, growing a healthy baby, creating a healthy womb environment through positive lifestyle, exercise and attitude choices, basic prenatal nutrition, eating smart, bonding with baby, creating balance and setting boundaries, making important postpartum choices, successful teaching and facilitation, tailoring your workshops and connecting with your community.
L.E.A.N. Expectations is a collection of three, two-hour workshops that provide an opportunity for expecting and nursing women to connect and build relationships with others while receiving current education, resources and practical strategies in the four areas of health: Lifestyle, Exercise, Attitude and Nutrition. Each workshop includes an accompanying book.
L.E.A.N. Start certification training covers the history and future of L.E.A.N., basic and extended nutrition, with specific segments on traffic-light eating, breakfast and grains, veggies and fruits, fats, protein, play (exercise), water and successful teaching and facilitation, tailoring your workshops and connecting with your community.
L.E.A.N. Start is a comprehensive course for parents designed to be taught in-person or online over several weeks in three, 2-hour or six, 1-hour workshops, and includes a L.E.A.N. Start Guide and Activity Book for children. The program includes a condensed version of L.E.A.N. Start that briefly touches on each topic and is designed to be taught as a one time, 2-hour workshop. While focusing on the four pillars of health, parents will learn; fun and easy to implement tools and information, sustainable strategies that help families develop a lifetime of health, recipes that make nutrition easy, fun and affordable, innovative ideas and activities that keep kids moving, easy label reading techniques, which ingredients can affect behavior, concentration and energy, and much, much more.
A certification exam may be taken at any time during the last week of the training course. After the online exam has been completed, a certificate will be received via mail. After finishing the exam, candidates will be authorized to use the designated credentials after their name of Dr. Sears Certified L.E.A.N. Health Coach.
To speak with someone at Dr. Sears L.E.A.N., please call Dominique at 866-446-1967 and see: